BELOW IS AN OUTLINE OF MY EXPERIENCE AT Sears CANADA.
In 2011, I had the opportunity to join the Sears Canada eCommerce and Digital Marketing team.
Sears Canada is a retailer that operates in all provinces and territories of Canada with a network of 196 corporate stores, 234 dealer stores, 38 home-improvement showrooms, 97 Sears Travel offices and a nationwide home maintenance, repair, and installation network.
My role at Sears Canada was relatively straightforward in nature: Uncover opportunities in digital to drive incremental revenue to both the eCommerce and Brick & Mortar businesses. My previous experiences and broad skill-set acquired in digital marketing at both Marketrans and the National Bank of Canada were instrumental to the relative success of my role at Sears Canada. In my role at Sears, I was specifically responsible for:
- Using various forms of digital analytics to inform strategic decisions in market segmentation and merchandising;
- Competitor benchmarking initiatives, and using insights to propose new promotions and special offers across key product categories.
- Uncover emerging online shopper trends to inform UX design.
- Managing product pricing performance across key competitors and its impact on revenue/margins across several product categories, directly impacting a $310 million e-commerce business;
- Optimize SEO, SEM, Affiliate Marketing, Social, Email, Mobile and Display Advertising initiatives through the provision of insights and analytics relevant to the business.
- Liaison with Sears U.S. team to discuss key findings, and share best practises in marketing and analytics.
My time at Sears Canada was well spent; I was able to uncover insights, complete projects and deliver initiatives that helped drive revenue increases across several key product categories such as Major Appliances, Toys, Fitness & Recreation, Kitchen, Home Decor, Apparel, and Electronics.
This experience provided me with an opportunity to obtain hands-on experience in retail management at one of Canada’s iconic brands, while working under pressure to uncover solutions to help turnover the organization’s fortunes.